- 1/2 pound raw bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup of Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound roasted turkey meat, diced
- 4 ounces Maytag blue cheese or other domestic cheese, crumbled
- 4 each large hard boiled eggs, thinly sliced
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, cleaned, cored and chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 large red onions, cut into thin rings
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat the fryer.
- In a sauté pan, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. Whisk the mustard, vinegar and honey, all to taste, into the bacon fat. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, cheese, eggs, crispy bacon, tomatoes, avocados, lettuce and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge the onions in the seasoned flour, coating completely and shaking off the excess.
- Fry the onions until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
- Toss the lettuce with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, mound a quarter of the salad in the center of each serving plate. Pile the onions on top of each salad. Garnish with parsley.
- Makes: 4 servings