- 1 1/2 pounds calfís sweetbreads
- 1 quart court bouillon
- 1 cup flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup dried navy white beans, cook until tender and cooled (yields about 2 cups cooked)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups veal reduction
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Soak the sweetbreads in cold water for 2 hours to clean them.
- Cut away any discolored parts. Place the sweetbreads in the court bouillon and poach them for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the sweetbreads and press them between 2 plates with a 2 pound weight on top. Place the sweetbreads in the refrigerator and chill completely.
- After the sweetbreads are chilled, cut the sweetbreads into nuggets or small pieces.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge the sweetbreads in the seasoned flour, covering each side completely. Set the sweetbreads aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the shallots. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, thyme and beans. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes. Deglaze sauté pan with the wine and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute
- Add the veal reduction and bring up to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a sauté pan, over medium heat, heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add sweetbreads and pan-fry until crispy on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove the sweetbreads and drain on paper towels.
- Remove the ragout from the heat and stir in the butter.
- Spoon the bean ragout into the center of each serving plate. Lay the sweetbreads over the ragout. Garnish with parsley. Serve the sweetbreads immediately.
Pan Crispy Snapper With A Fresh Fava Bean And Mushroom Ragout
Venison Medallions With A Smoked Bacon And White Bean Ragout With A Creole Mustard Sauce
Seared Salmon With A Wild Mushroom And White Bean Ragout And A Merlot Reduction Sauce
Venison Medallions With Bacon And White Bean Ragout And Creole Mustard Sauce
Pan Seared Filet Mignon With A Sweetbread Wild Mushroom Ragout
Cold Puree Of White Bean Soup With A Crispy Pancetta And Creole Tomato Relish
Lemon Scented Boar Chops With A Fresh Chanterelle And Fava Bean Ragout
Fresh Fiddlehead Fern, Crawfish And White Bean Ragout
Stuffed Roasted Veal Roast With A Spicy Tomato Sauce And Creamy Pasta
Creole Crusted Rib Eye Steak With Dirty White Beans