- 4 dozen Ispich clams, shucked
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 white rolls (about 6 to 8 inches long), brushed with butter and toasted
- 2 cups MAW MAWíS SLAW:
- 1/2 pound white cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 pound red cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 pound assorted greens, such as mustard greens, collards, or spinach, trimmed, washed, and shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 cup chopped green onions, green parts only
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup homemade mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Creole or whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- CREOLE SEASONING:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Preheat the fryer.
- Season the clams with Creole seasoning. In a mixing bowl, add the clams, hot sauce and milk. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove and drain completely. In a shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal and flour. Season with Creole seasoning. Dredge the clams in the seasoned flour, coating each clam completely. Fry the clams, in batches until crispy and golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the clams from the oil and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season with Creole seasoning.
- For the Tartar Sauce: put the egg, mustard, onions, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, capers and green onions in a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and cayenne. With the processor running, pour the oil through the feed tube in a steady stream. Cover and let sit for 1 hour in the refrigerator before using. Best if used within 24 hours.
- To assemble, spread the tarter sauce on both sides of each roll. Arrange 1 dozen clams on 1 side of each roll. Top the clams with Cole slaw and serve.
- CREOLE SEASONING: Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Yield: 2/3 cup
- MAW-MAW’S SLAW: Place the white cabbage, red cabbage, greens, red onions, green onions, and parsley in a large salad bowl. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and sugar. Mix well. Add the mixture to the greens and toss to mix thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve chilled. The slaw can be made three hours ahead.
- Yield: 8 servings
Fresh Pasta With A Spicy Clam Sauce
Clam Bake Foil Pouches
Clam And Sausage Bake
Spicy Shrimp Spring Rolls
Fried Clams With Gaahlicky Blue Cheese Dip
Beer Battered Fried Okra Stuffed With Crabmeat And A Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Pan Fried Spicy Crab Cakes
Spicy Sausage And Cheese Rolls
Emeril's Inside Out Spicy Tuna Roll With Special Sauce