- 1 pound dried beans: black, pinto, navy or mixed
- 2 teaspoons beef bullion paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 bell peppers chopped
- One-half teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- One-fourth teaspoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper (or to taste)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water. Rinse the beans in cool tap water, then put them in a large Dutch oven filled with fresh cold water. Bring to boil, then rinse again. Cover the beans with fresh water, add the bullion paste, bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until just tender, watching to add water when needed. (When done most of the water should be absorbed.)
- Heat the olive oil in large skillet. Add the onions and bell peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the oregano, cumin, chili power and red pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ground turkey. Cook, stirring constantly, until all pink disappears. Add the turkey mixture, the tomatoes and tomato sauce to the cooked beans. Simmer for 1 hour.