- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 scant cup warm water (about 110?F)
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup mashed cooked potatoes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 handful all-purpose flour
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- In a large bowl dissolve the yeast in the water. Add the butter, sugar, and molasses and mix well. Stir in the caraway seeds, potatoes, chocolate, rye and wheat flours, and the cornmeal. Using your hands, mix the ingredients together, and knead until you have a smooth ball of dough.
- Cover the bowl with a towel, place in a warm spot in your kitchen, and allow to rise for about 1 1/4 hours.
- About 15 minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Spread the all-purpose flour on a flat surface and using your hands, flatten the dough into a circle about 1 inch thick. Cut the dough into 18 pieces and form each into a roll about 3 inches in diameter. Place the rolls on the baking sheet and bake until they are brown and firm, for about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.