- 1 whole chicken (about 3 pounds), cut into 12 pieces, bone in
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 18 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 6 tablespoons minced garlic
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) chopped andouille sausage
- 3 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 9 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons Emeril's Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 6 cups Basic Chicken Stock
- 3 small uncooked lobsters (about 1 to 1 1/4 pounds each), cut into pieces
- 36 scrubbed littleneck clams
- 36 scrubbed and debearded mussels
- 18 medium shrimp in their shells (about 3/4 pound)
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces evenly with the salt and pepper and use your hands to coat the meat thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over high heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, for about 4 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic, sausage, and rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire, hot pepper sauce, bay leaves, Creole Seasoning, and saffron and simmer for 1 minute. Add the stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the lobster, tucking the pieces into the rice, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the clams, cover, can cook for 5 minutes. Add the mussels and shrimp, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. All of the clam and mussel shells should be opened. Discard any that are still closed.
- To serve, divide the shellfish, chicken, and rice among 8 large serving bowls. Place some empty bowls for shells in strategic spots on the table, and provide nutcrackers, lobster forks, and extra napkins. Now dig in!
- Note: Scrub fresh, live clams and mussels with a stiff brush to remove outer dirt. If preparing mussels, use your fingers to pull off any ìbeardsî that remain. Place the clams and mussels in a large pot of ice-cold water and let them soak for at least 2 hours to help rid them of internal sand. If you donít add ice to the water, place the pot in the refrigerator. Discard the water, and cook the clams or mussels immediately as directed.
Wild Mushroom Smothered Steaks
Quail Milton with Wild Mushroom-Andouille Duxelles and Port Wine Sauce
Albuquerque Roast Chicken With Black Bean Chili, Guacamole, And Fried Tortilla Strips
Beer Battered Fish With Twice-fried Vinegar Chips And Basil Mayonnaise
Beggarsí Purses Of Lamb, Goat Cheese, And Pine Nuts On A Bed Of Rosemary Lentils
Big Easy Seafood Okra Gumbo
Calypso Pork Pie With Plantain Lattice
Carpetbag Steak With Tasso Hollandaise
Chicken Fricassee With Fried Polenta
Chicken Pockets Stuffed With Goat Cheese, Chorizo, And Pine Nuts On A Bed Of Southern Style Black Eye Peas