- 1 large Idaho potato (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cubed (3/4 cup)
- 6 ounces Salt Cod, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1/3 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- 2/3 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- Bring the potatoes and enough water to cover to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook just until fork-tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes with a fork until fairly smooth. Add the salt cod, green onions, parsley, one egg, the salt, and cayenne, and mix until well blended.
- Pour enough vegetable oil into a large deep heavy pot or electric deep fryer to come halfway up the sides and heat over high heat to 360?F.
- Combine the flour and 1 teaspoon of the Essence in a small mixing bowl. In another bowl, whisk the remaining egg, the milk, and 1/4 teaspoon Essence until combined. In a third bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the remaining 2 teaspoons Essence.
- Using a heaping tablespoon of the Salt Cod mixture for each fritter, roll to coat evenly in the flour. Shake to remove any excess flour, dip in the egg wash, dredge in the seasoned bread crumbs, and place on a baking sheet.
- In batches, without crowding, deep-fry the fritters until golden, about 2 1/2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fritters to a paper towelñlined baking sheet.
- Serve immediately in the Potato Soup or as a snack.
Potato Soup With Salt Cod Fritters
Rice And Salt Cod Salad
Potato Soup With Mom's Salt Cod Fritters
Hilda's Salt Cod Fritters With Parsley Sauce
Salt Cod Fritters
Portuguese-Style White Bean Soup with Chicken and Bacon
Salt Cod And Tomato Soup
Cold Asparagus Soup With Lump Crabmeat
Caramelized Onion and Parmesan Cheese Soup with Parmesan Cheese Toasts