- 1 1/2 pounds ground veal
- 3/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Spicy Portuguese Sauce
- Place the veal, 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs, the cilantro, parsley, buttermilk, 1 egg, the garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes in a large bowl and mix quickly but thoroughly. Form the mixture into meatballs the size of a large walnut, about 2 tablespoons each.
- Beat the remaining egg with 2 tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon of the Essence in a shallow bowl. Combine the flour and 1 teaspoon of the Essence in a shallow bowl. Combine the remaining bread crumbs with the remaining 1 teaspoon Essence in another shallow bowl.
- Dip each meat pie first into the seasoned flour, then into the egg wash, letting the excess drip off, and finally into the bread crumbs, coating evenly. Flatten each ball slightly to form a patty and place on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook. The balls may be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator up to 5 hours.
- Add enough oil to come 1/2 inch up the sides of a large heavy skillet and heat over high heat until very hot. In batches, fry the meat patties in the oil until deep golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve hot with the sauce.
Spicy Portuguese Sauce
Linguica Crusted Redfish With Portuguese Olive Tomato Sauce
Spicy Duck Empanadas With Cilantro Cream
Portuguese-Style White Bean Soup with Chicken and Bacon
Egg Rolls With Hot Mustard Sauce
Kicked Up Chicken Drummettes With Blue Cheese Sauce
Roasted Vegetable And Goat Cheese Terrine With Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
Rock Shrimp Cones With Creole Remoulade Sauce
Seared Scallops On Truffle White Bean Puree With Wild Mushroom Sauce