- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 thin slices prosciutto or ham (about 1/4 pound)
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into twelve 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Syrup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill. (Alternatively, preheat the broiler.)
- Cut the eggplant crosswise into twelve 1/4-inch-thick slices. Lightly brush on both sides with olive oil, then season with the salt and pepper. Grill until just golden and slightly soft, about 2 minutes on each side. (If broiling, cook for 1 minute per side, carefully watching so that it does not burn.) Let cool slightly.
- Top each eggplant slice with a slice of prosciutto, followed by a slice of mozzarella cheese. Roll up each slice and secure with a toothpick.
- Return the roulades to the grill. Grill until the cheese starts to melt and the eggplant is warmed through, about 2 minutes. (Alternatively, roast the roulades on a baking sheet at 400?F for 6 to 8 minutes.)
- Arrange the roulades on a serving platter, or place 3 roulades each on four individual plates. Discard the toothpicks. Drizzle with the balsamic syrup and the extra-virgin olive oil, if desired, or pass the syrup on the side as a dipping sauce.
Eggplant, Tomato, And Feta Cheese Napoleons
Roast Flounder Stuffed With Eggplant Corn Bread Dressing
Grilled Eggplant, Proscuitto And Mozzarella Cheese Roulades
Kicked Up Fried Calamari with Creole Olive Salad
Barbecued Oysters With Rosemary Biscuits
Crabmeat And Hearts Of Palm Strudels With Corn Remoulade
Cured Salmon And Caramelized Ruby Red Grapefruit Salad With Blood Orange Gastrique
Egg Rolls With Hot Mustard Sauce