- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus about 1/4 cup for frying
- 1 1/4 cups corn kernels (from 2 to 3 ears of fresh corn)
- 1/2 pound peeled crawfish tails, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup masa harina (available at Latin markets and many supermarkets)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Sliced smoked salmon for garnish (optional)
- Caviar for garnish (optional)
- Heat the 2 tablespoons oil in a medium heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn, crawfish, shallots, garlic, salt, and cayenne and cook, stirring often, to heat through and blend the flavors, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the milk, cornmeal, flour, masa harina, baking powder, and Essence and mix well. Stir in the crawfish mixture and mix well.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of the remaining olive oil in a medium heavy skillet over medium-high heat. In batches, drop tablespoons of the batter into the skillet and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm, topping each cake with a spoonful of sour cream and some sliced smoked salmon and caviar, if you wish.
Mini Open Faced Corn Cake And Salmon Salad Sandwiches With Beluga Caviar
Crabmeat And Hearts Of Palm Strudels With Corn Remoulade
Crawfish And Artichoke Risotto
Fried Crawfish Salad With Mirliton Relish And Creole Remoulade
Hot Corn Dip With Crispy Tortilla Chips
Crawfish And Corn Cakes
Corn And Crab Bisque
Truffled Corn And Wild Mushroom Fettuccine
Cabbage And Potato Cake
Crab Cakes With Poached Eggs And Wild Mushroom Sauce