- One 1 3/4-to 2-pound round steak, cut into 4 equal portions
- 3 tablespoons Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the steak on a plastic wrapñcovered work surface and cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Pound the meat to a 1/4-inch thickness with a meat mallet. Season both sides of the meat with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the Essence.
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet until just crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain, leaving the fat in the pan. Set the pan aside.
- Combine the flour with 1 tablespoon of the Essence in a large shallow bowl. Whisk the egg with 1/2 cup of the milk and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the Essence in another bowl. Combine the bread crumbs and the remaining 1 tablespoon Essence in another shallow bowl or baking dish.
- Dredge the meat in the seasoned flour, then dip in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dredge the meat in the seasoned bread crumbs, coating each side evenly. Shake off any excess bread crumbs. Reserve the seasoned flour.
- Reheat the bacon fat in the skillet over high heat until very hot but not smoking. In batches, without crowding (you may only be able to cook one portion at a time), carefully add the meat and fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the reserved seasoned flour to the pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes, to make a light roux. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 2 cups milk, the salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce is thickened and there is no raw flour taste, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bacon.
- Serve the steaks with the hot gravy.
Fried Quail With Creamy Ham Gravy
Venison Medallions With Bacon And White Bean Ragout And Creole Mustard Sauce
Pan Fried Quail With Country Milk Gravy And Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
The King's Creole Fried Pork Chops With Mashed Sweet Potatoes And Southern Cooked Greens
Grilled Marinated Flank Steaks
Seared Scallops On Truffle White Bean Puree With Wild Mushroom Sauce
Celery Root Fries With Creole Remoulade Sauce
Chile Scrambled Eggs With Fried Oysters And Emeril's Pico De Gallo
Fried Crawfish Salad With Mirliton Relish And Creole Remoulade
Kicked Up Fried Calamari With Creole Olive Salad