- 1 pound medium beets, peeled, stems removed, and halved
- 1 fennel bulb, about 3/4 pound, cored, stem removed, and quartered
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups Chicken Stock or
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted and crushed pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 375?F.
- Put the beets, fennel, 2 tablespoons of the oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and toss to combine. Spread the vegetables on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and roast until caramelized, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the fennel, beets, and stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- With an immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor or blender, purÈe the soup. Refrigerate the purÈe until cool, at least 2 hours.
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream, applesauce, mint, and sage, and stir to combine.
- Ladle the chilled soup into serving bowls, top with a dollop of Apple-Mint Crema and pistachios, and serve.
Chilled Roasted Beet And Fennel Soup With Apple-sage-mint Crema, And Toasted Pistachios
Caramelized Onion and Parmesan Cheese Soup with Parmesan Cheese Toasts
Baked Ziti With Italian Sausage And Fennel
Portuguese-Style White Bean Soup with Chicken and Bacon
Rhubarb And Apple Pie With Walnut Crumb Topping
Jamaican Chilled Avocado Soup With Fresh Ginger And Lime Crema
Lobster Ravioli In A Fennel And Chervil Infused Nage
Hot Chorizo Tamales With Black Bean And Roasted Pepper Salsa
Roasted Vegetable And Goat Cheese Terrine With Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
Romaine Salad With Creamy Garlic Dressing And Roasted Garlic Croutons