- 2 large eggs
- 1 large ripe banana (about 6 ounces), sliced lengthwise in half and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1/2 cup confectionersí sugar
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the banana, flour, milk, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and whisk well to make a smooth batter.
- Pour enough oil to come halfway up the sides into a large deep pot or electric deep fryer and heat over high heat to 360°F.
- In batches, without crowding, drop heaping tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil (you can do 6 or 7 beignets at a time) and fry, turning them to brown evenly, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Sift the confectioners’ sugar through a sieve onto the beignets and serve warm.