- One and one-half cups chicken stock or water
- One and one-half teaspoons salt
- Three-fourths teaspoon cracked black pepper
- One-half cup wild rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- One-fourth cup diced pepperoni
- One-half cup small dice onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup julienne shiitake mushrooms
- One-half cup black barley
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- One-half cup dry white wine
- Four and one-half cups chicken/mushroom/vegetable stock or water (warm or at room temperature)
- One-fourth cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a 1-quart saucepan combine the stock, one-half teaspoon of salt and one-fourth teaspoon of pepper over a medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Add the wild rice and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with a lid, and cook the wild rice for 1 hour, until all the liquid is absorbed (rice will still be crunchy).
- In a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the pepperoni and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Season the mushrooms with the remainder of the salt and pepper. Add the barley and the Arborio rice and toast in the oil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, and cook, stirring constantly, until the wine is nearly evaporated. Add one and one-half cups of the stock (or water) and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until all of the liquid has been absorbed (this will take about 10 minutes). Add another one and one-half cups of stock and cook until completely absorbed. Add the remaining stock and continue to cook, stirring, until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- To finish the risotto, add the cream and butter and cook until the risotto is creamy, but not loose (this may take another 3 to 4 minutes). Finally, fold in the cooked wild rice and the parsley and re-season if necessary. Serve immediately.
Black And Brown Rice Pilaf
Black And White Risotto
Chicken And Mushroom Risotto
Oven Roasted Tomatoes With Mushroom Risotto And Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
Roasted Shrimp With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce And Warm Frisee Corn Salad
Crab And Wild Mushroom Cheesecake With Green Onions Coulis
Duck And Pumpkin Risotto With Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds And Duck Cracklings
Adrienne's Late Season Chanterelle Risotto
Pan Crispy Striped Bass With Brown Butter, Lump Crab Meat And Shiitake ñ Watercress Salad