- 1/4 cup warm water (about 110?F)
- 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, rinsed, picked over, and stemmed
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour, as needed
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- Combine the water and yeast in a small mixing bowl and whisk to dissolve the yeast. Put the bowl in a warm draft-free place until the yeast bubbles and the mixture almost doubles in bulk, about 10 minutes. If it doesnít do this, the yeast is dead and youíll have to start again with new yeast.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the granulated sugar, shortening, salt, and blueberries. Stir in the boiling water. Using a fork, lightly mash the blueberries against the side of the bowl. Cool the mixture to lukewarm. Add the heavy cream, the yeast mixture, and egg. Add 2 cups of the flour and blend well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough is smooth and not sticky. If the dough becomes too stiff to stir easily with a spoon, work in the flour with your fingers. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat the dough into a rectangle about 1 inch thick. Lightly dust the surface of the dough with flour. Roll out the rectangle to at least 12 1/2 inches long by 10 inches wide and about 1/4 inch thick. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into twenty 2 1/2-inch-square beignets.
- In a large, heavy pot or an electric fryer, heat the oil (about 4 inches) to 360?F. Fry the beignets, 2 to 3 at a time, until golden brown and crispy on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Sprinklewith confectioners sugar and serve warm.
Crawfish Beignets With Tomato And Corn Tartar Sauce
Crabmeat Omelets With Tasso Hollandaise
Pecan Waffles With Pecan And Banana Syrup
Smoked Trout Hash With Choron Sauce
Gulf Fish Beignets With Tomato Corn Tartar Sauce
Blueberry Simple Syrup
Ooey Gooey Blueberry French Toast
Buttermilk And Lemon Scented Pancakes With A Warm Blueberry Syrup