- 3/4 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- Essence to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds uncooked rabbit loin, cubed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced Idaho potato
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped fresh or canned tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (green part only)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 cups Veal Stock
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking white grits
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Maytag or other white Cheddar cheese
- Fried Parsnips
- Put the flour in a medium-size mixing bowl and season with Essence. Season the rabbit with salt and pepper, and add to the flour. Toss, lightly coating each piece, shaking off any excess.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-size sautÈ pan over medium heat. Add the rabbit, and cook, stirring often, until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onions, carrot, potato, tomatoes, shallots, green onions, and 1/4 cup of the garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the veal stock and reduce by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the milk, seasoned with salt, to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining butter. While stirring, slowly add the grits, breaking up any lumps. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the grits are tender and slightly thick, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the heavy cream and 1/4 cup of the cheese, stirring until the cheese is completely melted. Season again with salt and pepper.
- To serve, mound the grits in the center of a serving bowl. Spoon the ragout over the top. Place the fried parsnips in the center of the ragout, pushing them down into the grits. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese and green onions.
Country Style Rabbit Ragout With Maytag White Cheddar Grits
White Cheddar Truffle Eggs
Crawfish Stuffed Veal Chops With Crawfish Marchand De Vin Sauce And Creamy White Cheddar Cheese Grits
Deep Dish Apple Cobbler With Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese
Country Ham And Cheddar Omelet
Wild Mushroom Ragout Over Stone Ground Grits
Pan Fried Catfish With Andouille Smothered White Beans
Cheesy Bacon Grits
Braised Country Style Ribs With White Beans And Fresh Herbs
Wild Mushroom Ragout Crostini