- 1 1/2 pounds new or small red potatoes, quartered
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts halves (about 6 ounces each), cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- Essence to taste
- 1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup Abita Turbodog beer
- 2 large eggs yolks, beaten
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 6 tablespoons water
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 large egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
- 2 cups Remoulade Sauce
Put the potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook the bacon, stirring, until crispy. Add the potatoes and onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the potatoes are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
Season the chicken with Essence and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Add the beer, egg yolks, milk, and water and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, then cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
In a large, heavy pot or electric fryer, heat 4 inches of oil to 345°F.
Uncover the batter and fold in the beaten egg whites. Dip the chicken strips a few at a time in the batter, letting the excess drip off. Carefully add the chicken to the hot oil without crowding and fry until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels, then season with Essence. Serve with the rÈmoulade and the home fries.
Turbo Dog Stuffed Shells
Kicked Up Fried Calamari with Creole Olive Salad
Fried Sweet Potato Pies
Fried Oyster Po'boy With Jalapeño Mayonnaise And Avocado
Kicked Up Corn Dogs With Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Kicked-Up Chicken Wings with an Apple & Bourbon Glaze
Creole Fried Chicken
Fried Shrimp Po-Boy
Chile-Glazed Crispy Confit Duck Wings with Blue Cheese Crème Fraiche and a Shaved Celery and Grape Salad
Fresh Tuna and Butter-Lettuce Wraps with Crispy Wonton Threads, Shaved Jalapeno and Basil Oil