- 1 whole duck breast (about 1 pound)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onions
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn kernels (from 1 medium-size ear)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup Duck Stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 12 toothpicks, if needed
- Essence to taste
- Chili Corn Sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup Cilantro Sour Cream
- Preheat the oven to 400?F.
- Season the duck breast with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large oven-proof sautÈ pan over medium heat. Place the duck breast, skin side down, in the pan and cook until the skin is crispy and brown, 10 minutes. Turn the duck breast over and cook for 10 minutes more. Transfer the pan to the oven. Roast for about 5 minutes for medium-rare; 8 minutes for medium; 10 minutes for well done. Remove from the oven and let the meat rest for about 2 minutes. Let cool and remove the skin. Shred the meat and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large sautÈ pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add the corn, shallots, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes. Add the duck, black beans, and rice and season with the chili powder and cumin. Add the duck stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the liquid has reduced by two thirds, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and re-season with salt and pepper if necessary. Stir in the cilantro. Cool completely.
- In large, heavy, deep pot or an electric fryer, heat 4 inches of the vegetable oil to 360?F. Spoon 3/4 cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla. Lightly wet the edges of the tortilla with water, then fold in the sides of the tortilla and roll it up tightly, forming a burrito, making sure that the sides are completely sealed. If necessary, secure each end of the burrito with a toothpick. Place the burritos, a couple at a time, in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Turn them with a spoon for even browning. Drain on paper towels. Season with Essence.
- To serve, spoon equal amounts of the chili corn sauce into the center of each serving plate. Place the burrito on the sauce, then garnish with a sprinkle of the cheeses and a dollop of cilantro sour cream.
Chili Corn Sauce
Crawfish Beignets With Tomato And Corn Tartar Sauce
Crab And Corn Pies With Corn Crab Sauce
Duck, Andouille, And Scallion Pancakes With Ginger Orange Sauce
Creole Spiced Blue Crabs With Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Vegetable And Goat Cheese Empanada With Roasted Tomatillo Sauce
Mussels And Fennel With Saffron Cream Sauce
Sweet Water Prawns Over Spinach Pappardelle With A Champagne And Salmon Roe Butter Sauce
Duck And Pumpkin Risotto With Toasted Pumpkin Seeds And Duck Cracklings