- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks (white part only)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 pound chËvre cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- Essence to taste
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed, picked over, and boiled in water to cover until slightly tender, then drained and cooled under cold running water
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium-size sauté pan over medium heat. Add the leeks, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour the mixture into a medium-size mixing bowl and stir in the cheese and wine. Season again with salt and pepper and mix well. Form the mixture into 8 cakes, about 1/4 cup each, about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl and season with Essence. Put the eggs in another shallow bowl. In a third shallow bowl put the bread crumbs and season with Essence. dredge the cakes first in the seasoned flour, coating completely and tapping off any excess, then dip the cakes in the eggs, letting the excess drip off. Dredge in the seasoned bread crumbs, coating both sides.
- In another medium-size sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Pan-fry the cakes until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with Essence and keep warm.
- In another medium-size sauté pan, fry the bacon until crisp. Add the onions and lentils, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and basil and remove from the heat.
- To serve, place 2 of the cakes in the center of each dinner plate. Spoon the lentil mixture around the cakes and garnish with the chives.
Goat's Cheese And Leek Cake With Lentil Salad
Leek And Goat-cheese Cake With Marinated Lentils
Vegetable And Goat Cheese Empanada With Roasted Tomatillo Sauce
Beggarsí Purses Of Lamb, Goat Cheese, And Pine Nuts On A Bed Of Rosemary Lentils
Baked Oysters with Braised Leeks and Tasso Hollandaise
Smoked Buffalo With Melted Fennel, Leeks, And Hearts Of Palm Salad With Florida Orange Vinaigrette
Goat Cheese And Vegetable Ravioli In A Citrus-tomato Broth With Fresh Herbs And Melted Leeks
Arugula With Cilantro Oil, Peppered Goat Cheese, And Roasted Walnuts
Chicken Pockets Stuffed With Goat Cheese, Chorizo, And Pine Nuts On A Bed Of Southern Style Black Eye Peas
Goat Cheese Quesadilla With Guacamole And Pico De Gallo