- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped celery
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 pounds medium-size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (green part only)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 eggplant (about 1 pound), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Emeril's Original Essence
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups fine dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and celery, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, 2 teaspoons salt, and cayenne and cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 4 minutes. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of the flour in the water, then add it to the shrimp mixture and stir until the mixture thickens slightly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the parsley and 1/4 cup of the green onions, stir, and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Heat 4 inches of oil in a large, heavy deep pot or an electric fryer to 360?F. Season the eggplant slices on both sides with Essence. Put the remaining 1 cup flour in a shallow bowl and season with Essence. In another bowl, season the beaten eggs with salt and pepper. In a third shallow bowl, season the bread crumbs with Essence. Dredge each slice of eggplant in the flour, tapping off any excess, then dip in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Next, dredge in the bread crumbs, coating each side completely.
- Carefully lay several eggplant slices at a time in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, turning them over once. Drain on paper towels. Repeat until all the slices are fried. Season with Essence.
- To serve, place 2 to 3 fried eggplant slices in the center of each serving plate. Spoon the shrimp mixture over the eggplant and garnish with cheese and the remaining 1/4 cup green onions.
Stewed Eggplant With Paneed Steak
Whole Roasted Squabs Stuffed With Eggplant And Bacon Dressing
Southern Fried Chicken With Mashed Potatoes
Pan Fried Catfish With Andouille Smothered White Beans
Fried Eggplant With Shrimp Etouffee
Steamed Ginger Shrimp Dumplings With Stir Fried Sesame Vegetables
Portobello Sandwich With Mashed Root Vegetable Mushroom Stew
Fried Eggplant Salad With Sweet Corn Dressing
Rock Shrimp Stuffed Flounder
Rock Shrimp Stuffed Filet