- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Diced pineapple and pink grapefruit segments, caramelized with brown sugar, for garnish
- In a medium heavy saucepan, combine 3/4 cup of the sugar with the water and lemon juice and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and cook without stirring, swirling the pan occasionally, until the syrup caramelizes and turns a deep golden color, 7 to 10 minutes. Very carefully pour the mixture into 6 (1-cup) ramekins and swirl to evenly coat the bottoms. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cream and milk to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until frothy and lemon colored, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisking constantly, slowly add the hot cream mixture to the eggs. Whisk in the rum. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a large glass measuring cup or bowl, and divide among the ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a large roasting pan and place on the middle rack of the oven. Carefully fill the roasting pan with hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until the custards are just set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the oven. Transfer the custards to a wire rack to cool, then refrigerate and chill completely before serving, 4 hours or overnight.
- To serve, run a thin sharp knife around the custards to loosen and invert onto dessert plates. Shake gently to release onto the plates. Garnish with the caramelized pineapple and pink grapefruit and serve.
Jitterbug's Bread Pudding With Rum Creme Anglaise
Grilled Banana Splits with Hot Fudge and Rum Caramel Sauce
Coconut Mango Bread Pudding With Caramel Rum Sauce And Fried Coconut Strips
Smoked Salmon Scrambled Egg Packages With Lemon Creme Fraiche
Caramel Rum Sauce
Rum Caramel Sauce
Café Au Lait Crème Brûlée with Cane Syrup Cake
Grilled Pineapple With Rum Glaze And Coconut Ice Cream
Cane Syrup Pecan Bread Pudding with Espresso Creme Anglaise
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Bread Pudding with Vanilla Bean Creme Anglaise