- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish with 1 teaspoon of the butter.
- Put the potatoes in a large mixing bowl and add the salt and white pepper. Toss to season evenly. Arrange a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of the flour. Dot with a tablespoon of the remaining butter, then sprinkle with 1/2 cup of each of the cheeses. Repeat the process until all the potatoes, butter, flour, and cheeses are used, ending with the cheeses. Pour in the milk.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and serve hot.