- 1 sheet (about 10 inches square) frozen puff pastry (found in the frozen foods section)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound peeled crawfish tails
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions or scallions (green part only)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper.
- Thaw the pastry at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before gently unfolding. With a sharp knife, divide the pastry in half, wrap the remaining piece in plastic wrap, and return to the freezer for another use.
- Cut the pastry into 4 equal triangles. With the tip of a sharp knife, make a 1/4-inch score on all edges of the triangles, being careful not to cut all the way through. Put them on the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops lightly with the beaten egg. Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- With the tip of a sharp knife, carefully remove the top of each pastry and set it aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, combine the butter and flour and cook, stirring slowly and constantly for 2 to 3 minutes, to make a blond-colored roux. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the broth and cook, whisking occasionally, until it thickens slightly, about 25 minutes.
- Season the crawfish with the Creole seasoning and add to the sauce. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cream, Worcestershire, and hot sauce. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then stir in the green onions.
- Spoon equal amounts of the crawfish and sauce into the center of the pastries and top with the pastry tops. Serve warm.
Food To Go-picnic Style-saute Of Louisiana Crawfish Vol-au-vent
Crawfish Pies, My Way
Trout Stuffed With Crawfish Dressing
Crawfish and Sausage Jambalaya
Exotic Mushroom Tarts
Pecan Crusted Rabbit With Wilted Greens And Creole Dressing
Escargots In A Pastry Dome
Grilled Creole Mustard Marinated Quail With Smothered Field Peas And Andouille