- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons uncooked long-grain white rice
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- Combine the milk, rice, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the sugar, the egg yolks, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.
- When the rice is done, stir the raisins and the sugar and egg mixture into the rice pot. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Mix together the cream, the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, and the rum, if using, in a large mixing bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat until soft peaks form. Fold in the cooled rice mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into six 4-ounce custard cups and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve chilled.