- 4 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed in cool water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Basic Sweet Pie Crust
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375?F.
- Combine the blueberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the juice begins to form a syrup. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and add to the blueberry mixture. Stir until it thickens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with the pie crust. Pour the blueberry mixture into the crust. Carefully place the top crust over the filling and crimp the edges together. Brush the crust and edges with the beaten egg. With a pointed knife, make 3 small slashes in the center of the crust.
- Place the pie in the center of a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden. Let cool for 10 to 12 minutes.
- To serve, cut into wedges and top each with a scoop of ice cream.