- 8 to 10 pound brisket
- Garlic cloves
- 1 quart beef stock (unsalted or low salt)
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Emerilís Original Essence
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- Using a paring knife and your finger, stuff brisket all over with garlic. Place brisket in a baking dish or casserole and bake until browned on top, remove from oven, turn brisket and return to oven until browned on both sides. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF. Add enough beef stock to casserole to come up 1 inch on sides, cover with foil and bake one hour.
- While brisket is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium high heat and sauté onions in vegetable oil, stirring occasionally, until caramelized and most liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove brisket from oven after one hour and add caramelized onions and all remaining ingredients, moving meat around to combine ingredients. Cover and continue to bake until very tender but not falling apart, another 2 to 3 hours. Remove brisket to a carving board and slice. Strain reserved cooking liquids and pour over sliced brisket. Brisket may be returned to casserole dish and allowed to cool, then served the next day. (Reheated in oven.)
- Brisket is better if made a day in advance.