- TRUFFLE EMULSION:
- 1 Portobello mushroom, stem removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced shallots
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 white truffle oil
- WILD MUSHROOM CONFIT:
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted wild mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster mushrooms, chanterelles and creminis
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 cups light, non-flavored oil such as safflower
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic
- CRISPY PHYLLO THREADS:
- 4 sheets frozen phyllo sheets
- 4 tablespoons clarified unsalted butter, melted
- PORCINI FLAN:
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- TRUFFLE EMULSION: Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Rub the mushroom with the olive oil then season lightly with salt and pepper. Place the mushroom gill-side down on a small baking pan and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- Chop the mushroom into small dice. In the bowl of a blender, blend the egg and lemon juice until frothy. Add the garlic and shallots, and process briefly, then add the mushrooms and puree until smooth. When the mixture is smooth, add the vegetable and truffle oils in a slow stream with the blender running. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and reserve until ready to serve.
- WILD MUSHROOM CONFIT: In a large colander combine mushrooms and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside for an hour, allowing mushrooms to release as much liquid as possible (do not reserve liquid), stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 275ºF. In a baking dish combine mushrooms with remaining ingredients, making certain that mushrooms are completely covered with oil. Cover with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours, until mushrooms are very tender. Transfer mushrooms to a strainer or colander, remove bay leaves, rosemary and thyme sprigs, and allow to drain. (Oil may be reserved and used for another purpose.) Serve mushrooms either warm or at room temperature, spooned over and around Porcini Flans with Truffle Emulsion.
- CRISPY PHYLLO THREADS: Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Thaw phyllo in refrigerator, then transfer to a dry work space. Brush each sheet lightly with clarified butter, and layer one on top of the other. Roll sheets up as tightly as possible and, with a very sharp chef’s knife, slice phyllo into very thin threads.Toss threads around in your fingers to create jumbled threads on a baking sheet, and spread out evenly. Bake for 10 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Allow to cool, then use as a garnish for the Porcini Flans.
- PORCINI FLAN: Lightly butter 6 4-ounce ramekins and set aside.
- Under cold running water quickly rinse porcinis to rid of any sand or dirt.
- In a small saucepan place porcinis with 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook until porcinis are very soft and liquid has reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool. When cooled, remove porcinis from liquid and set aside. Strain liquid through a fine meshed sieve and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a small sauté pan melt butter and sauté shallots until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook another minute. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor and add reserved mushroom liquid and porcinis and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and whisk in the heavy cream, egg yolks, nutmeg, cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide mixture between ramekins and place the ramekins in a baking pan. Add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins and bake flans until set, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- To serve, gently loosen flans with a knife and invert onto serving plates with Wild Mushroom Confit, a generous dollop of the Truffle Emulsion and Crispy Phyllo Threads.
- Yield: 6 servings
Crispy Confit Of Duck And Yukon Gold Potatoes With Braised Spinach, Shaved Truffles, Truffle Emulsion And White Truffle Oil
Confit Of Wild And Exotic Mushrooms With Pasta Rags, White Truffle Oil, Shaved Truffles, And Parmigiano-reggiano Cheese
Kicked-up Smoked Salmon And Scallop Koulibiaca With Spinach And Black Truffles Wrapped In Phyllo W/truffle Beurre Blanc
Scallops, Confit Of Wild Mushrooms, And Black Truffle Dome
Wild Mushroom Flan With A Warm Spinach Salad
Fresh Tuna and Butter-Lettuce Wraps with Crispy Wonton Threads, Shaved Jalapeno and Basil Oil
Fresh Tuna And Butter Lettuce Wraps With Crispy Wonton Threads, Shaved Jalapeno, And Basil Oil
Scallop, Confit Of Wild Mushroom And Black Truffle Dome
Veal Scallopine With Madeira And Porcini Mushrooms
Exotic Mushroom Flan With Warm Spinach Salad