- TOMATO AND BLACK OLIVE RAGOUT:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 pound very ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup basil chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- MASHED POTATOES and SAFFRON BROTH:
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 large pinch saffron (about 1/4 ounce)
- 5 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 8 6-ounce halibut filets
- Creole seasoning
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup saffron broth from above
- TOMATO AND BLACK OLIVE RAGOUT: In a saucepan heat olive oil and sauté onions until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute or two. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and olives and cook until sauce is thick and most liquid has evaporated. Season with herbs and salt and pepper to taste, adding sugar if necessary to correct acidity. Serve warm on top of BAKED HALIBUT IN A SAFFRON BROTH WITH MASHED POTATOES.
- MASHED POTATOES AND SAFFRON BROTH: In a large saucepan combine chicken stock and saffron and bring to a boil. Add salt to taste, add potatoes and cook, covered, until fork-tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Strain liquid into another large saucepan and reserve. Add butter to potatoes and stir and mash until completely melted. Add milk, stir well, and add salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm while making the redfish.
- In a saucepan sauté shallots and garlic in olive oil until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add reserved saffron stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add green onions and simmer 5 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- HALIBUT: Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Season halibut filets with Creole seasoning on both sides. Rub filets with olive oil and place on a lightly oiled shallow casserole or baking sheet with sides and pour saffron broth around filets. Cover filets loosely with parchment paper or aluminum foil and bake for 5 minutes, uncover and bake another 5 minutes, or until flesh flakes easily.
- Serve filets in a large bowl on top of MASHED POTATOES, with SAFFRON BROTH ladled over all and fish topped with a generous dollop of TOMATO AND BLACK OLIVE RAGOUT.
Halibut In Saffron Broth
Roasted Shrimp With Saffron Potatoes And Tomato Mirliton Relish
Gnocchi With Mushroom, Tomato And Herb Ragout
Prosciutto Wrapped Halibut With A Caper And Tomato Butter Sauce
Linguica Crusted Redfish With A Portuguese Olive-tomato Sauce, Fried Calamari And Feta Cheese
Pan-seared Halibut In A Miso Broth With Enoki Mushrooms, Edamame, And Pea Sprouts
Goat Cheese And Vegetable Ravioli In A Citrus-tomato Broth With Fresh Herbs And Melted Leeks
Red Wine Braised Beef Shanks With Mushrooms And Basil Mashed Potatoes
Olive And Roasted Pine Nut, Sundried Tomato And Rosemary, Basil, Black Pepper, And Parmesan Cheese Bread Braid
Escolar Stew With Saffron Broth And Wild Mushrooms