- 3 medium mirlitons, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 large onions, peeled, halved, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Put the mirlitons in a saucepan and cover with water. Boil, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and cool under tap water. Set aside.
- Season the onions with the salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the onions, and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until caramelized and golden. Add the butter and mirlitons and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately.