- 7 pounds veal marrow bones, sawed into 2-inch pieces
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 black peppercorns
- 5 garlic cloves
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 6 quarts water
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Put the bones in a shallow roasting pan and roast for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and spread evenly with the tomato paste. Combine the onions, celery, and carrots and lay on top of the bones. Return to the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and drain off any fat.
- Place the roasting pan over medium heat on the stove and pour the wine over the bones and vegetables. Using a wooden spoon, deglaze, scraping the bottom of the pan for browned particles. Put everything into a large stockpot. Add the salt, peppercorns, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 4 hours. Let cool.
- Remove any fat that has risen to the surface. Strain. Store in 1- or 2-cup containers in the freezer.