- 1 domestic duck, rinsed in cool water (about 5 1/2 to 6 pounds)
- 1/2 cup stemmed and sliced jalapeÒos, with seeds
- 12 garlic cloves plus 1 medium head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 medium lemons, halved
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed (about 14 ounces)
- Remove any excess fat pieces from the cavity of the duck. Remove the neck flap. With the duck breast side up and the cavity facing you, make a 1-inch slit on each side of the breastbone inside the cavity. Insert 1 slice of jalapeÒo and 1 clove garlic in each hole. With your fingers, separate the skin from the breast meat and insert 5 pieces of jalapeÒo and 5 garlic cloves under the skin and push them well along the breast. Turn the duck around so that the neck is facing you. Slice the remaining 2 cloves garlic and put these and the remaining jalapeÒo slices in the neck cavity. Put the duck in a deep glass or plastic container. Squeeze the lemons and pour the juice over the duck and inside the cavity. Rub the duck with the lemon skins. Combine the black pepper, salt, cayenne, and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Rub the duck, inside and out, with this mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450?F.
- Remove the duck from the container and place it on a rack in a roasting pan. Stuff the cavity with the sweet potatoes and head of garlic. Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350?F. and continue to bake for 1 hour, or until the duck legs pull easily away from the body.
- To serve two, remove the sweet potatoes and garlic from the cavity. Cut the duck in half. Using your thumb and index finger, squeeze out the garlic from the skin and place on top of the duck halves, skin side up. Cut the sweet potatoes in half and serve with the duck.
- To serve four, carve the duck into 4 pieces. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes. Squeeze the garlic from the skin and set aside. Pour the oil (about 1/2 cup) from the roasting pan into a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon flour and blend with a wire whisk for 5 to 6 minutes to make a medium brown roux, the color of peanut butter. Add 1 cup each chopped onions and celery and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 6 minutes. Add the chopped sweet potatoes and roasted garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
- Add 3 cups Chicken Broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens, 6 to 7 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, and 2 tablespoons Steenís 100% Pure Cane Syrup. Simmer for about 3 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons chopped green onions and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley. Lay the duck pieces in the sauce and spoon it over. Increase the heat to medium, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for 5 minutes more.
- To serve, place a piece of duck in the center of each dinner plate and spoon sauce over it.
Pork Chops And Sweet Potato Gravy
Roasted Chicken With Lemon Herb Sauce And Sauteed Mushrooms, Two Ways
Duck With Root Vegetables
Roasted Duck With Topinambours
Ducks With Fig Glaze
Two Way Duck
Sweet Potato Pudding
Sweet Potato Bread
Panfried Catfish With Lemon And Garlic
Soft Shell Crabs With Almonds And Brown Butter