- 6 slices (about 4 ounces) bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms, such as shiitakes, oysters, or hedgehogs
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup chopped, peeled, and seeded tomatoes, or 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- 8 quail, breastbone removed and split down the back (3 1/2 to 4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon, drain, and set aside.
- Add the flour to the fat in the skillet and make a medium brown roux, the color of peanut butter, by stirring constantly for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the onions and stir constantly for about 3 minutes, or until slightly wilted. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and the sherry and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Add the quail, salt, cayenne, and black pepper and simmer for about 30 minutes, basting and turning the quail every 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
- Serve garnished with the reserved bacon pieces.
Quail Stuffed With Corn Bread And Andouille Dressing
Quail With Forcemeat
Panfried Catfish With Lemon And Garlic
Soft Shell Crabs With Almonds And Brown Butter
Duck And Wild Mushroom Gumbo
Roasted Quail Stuffed With A Mushroom And Andouille Duxelle
Roast Goose With Wild Pecan Rice Dressing
Chicken And Dumplings
Eggplant And Shrimp Bake