- 20 jalapeÒos, stemmed and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices (about 2 1/2 cups or 3/4 pound)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- Combine the jalapeños, garlic, onions, salt, and oil in a nonreactive saucepan over high heat. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the water and continue to simmer, stirring often, for about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to steep until mixture comes to room temperature. In a food processor, puree the mixture for 15 seconds, or until smooth. With the processor running, pour the vinegar through the feed tube in a steady stream. Pour into a sterilized pint jar or bottle and secure with an airtight lid. Refrigerate. Let age for at least 2 weeks before using. Can be stored in the refrigerator up to 6 months.