- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 4 jalapeÒos, with stems and seeds, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cans (2 ounces each) anchovy fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 whole medium lemons, skin and pith removed
- 4 cups dark corn syrup
- 2 cups Steenís 100% pure Cane Syrup
- 2 quarts distilled white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 pound fresh horseradish, peeled and grated (about 3 cups)
- Combine the oil, onions, and jalapeÒos in a large heavy stockpot over high heat. SautÈ for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly soft. Add the garlic, pepper, anchovy fillets, cloves, salt, lemons, corn syrup, cane syrup, vinegar, water, and horseradish and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 6 hours, or until the mixture barely coats a wooden spoon. Strain.
- Spoon the hot mixture into 3 hot sterilized pint-size jars, filling to within 1/2 inch of the top. With a clean damp towel, wipe the rim and fit with a hot lid. Tightly screw on the metal ring. Process in a hot-water bath for 15 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove the jars, place on a towel, and let cool. Test the seals. Tighten the rings. Store in a cool, dark place. Let age for at least 2 weeks before using. Can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered jar or bottle indefinitely. Refrigerate after opening.