- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 8 cups chopped, peeled, and seeded fresh tomatoes (about 5 1/2 pounds), or 8 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 2 quarts Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Season with the salt, cayenne, and black pepper. SautÈ for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove half of the mixture and puree it in a blender. Return it to the pot. Add the parsley and serve. Or refrigerate and serve chilled.
- CREAMY CREOLE-STYLE TOMATO SOUP
- Add 1/2 cup heavy cream after the soup has been pureed and returned to the pot. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, to heat through.