- 6 pounds medium cucumbers, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 20 garlic cloves
- 10 whole allspice
- Put the cucumber slices in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Cover with ice and cold water. Let sit for 6 hours, adding ice and stirring occasionally. Drain thoroughly.
- In a large nonreactive pot, combine the vinegar, sugar, water, mustard seeds, peppercorns, garlic, and allspice. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Add the cucumbers and onions; remove from the heat. Stir with a wooden spoon for 1 to 2 minutes. Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Fill each of the hot sterilized pint-size preserving jars with cucumbers and onions, dividing them evenly, and enough of the liquid to come within 1/2 inch of the top. With a clean damp towel, wipe the rim and fit with a hot lid. Tightly screw on the metal ring. Process in a hot-water bath for 15 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove the jars, place on a towel, and let cool. Test the seals. Tighten the rings. Store in a cool dry place. Let age for at least 2 weeks before using.
Annie's Bread And Butter Pickles
Lemon, Butter, And Tomato Sauce
Soft Shell Crabs With Almonds And Brown Butter
Corn Bread And Andouille Dressing
Quail Stuffed With Corn Bread And Andouille Dressing
Pickled Banana Peppers
Pickled Mirliton Remoulade
Quick Pickled Okra
Eggplant And Shrimp Beignets