- 1 large fryer, cut into 10 serving pieces (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Rustic Rub
- Solid vegetable shortening for deep-frying
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- In a mixing bowl, toss the chicken with the salt, cayenne, black pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the rub. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Heat the shortening to 350ºF. in an electric deep-fryer or deep cast-iron pot. There should be enough shortening for the chicken pieces to immerse.
- Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and 1 tablespoon of the rub in another shallow bowl.
- Combine the flour and the remaining 2 tablespoons rub in another shallow bowl. Roll the chicken in the flour mixture, then in the milk-egg mixture, then again in the flour. Shake off excess batter. Fry 2 to 4 pieces (the number will depend on the size of the frying pot) at a time, 10 to 12 minutes for thighs and drumsticks, 8 to 10 minutes for wings and breasts. When they pop to the surface of the oil and are golden brown, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Batter Fried Catfish
Beer Battered Fried Okra Stuffed With Crabmeat And A Spicy Green Onion Dipping Sauce
Braised Pork Ribs And Andouille
Fried Kicked-up Jalapeno Poppers
Kicked Up Fried Calamari with Creole Olive Salad
Fried Chicken and Buttermilk Waffles with Black Pepper Maple Syrup and Vanilla Butter
Chicken And Dumplings
Stewed Chicken And Sausage
Andouille And Chicken Jambalaya