- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and diced ?4 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 10 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Brown chopped bacon in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add the garlic and jalapeno and saute until softened.
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper and mix well. In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir just to combine. Quickly pour the cornmeal batter into the skillet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until firm and golden brown on top. Let sit for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cutting board. Cut into wedges and serve hot with butter on the side.