- 4 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl and stir to mix. Add the buttermilk and mix gently with a fork. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Gently fold the edges into each other four times, turn once, then pat the dough out into a circle about 9 inches in diameter and about 1 inch thick. With a sharp knife, make two large slashes in the shape of a cross on the top.
- Lightly grease a 2x10-inch round cake pan with the vegetable oil. Place the dough in it and sprinkle the top with bacon. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees F and bake until the bread is brown and sounds hollow when thumped with your fingers, about another 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, then remove the bread from the pan and let cool on a wire rack before slicing to serve.