- 4 double-cut veal loin chops (12 to 14 ounces each)
- 4 teaspoons Creole Seasoning
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 2 medium-size yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 pound assorted exotic mushrooms, such as shiitakes, chanterelles, and oysters, wiped clean and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 1/2 ounces tasso, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions (scallions), green parts only
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Season the chops with the Creole seasoning, rubbing it in evenly.
- Heat the oil in a large sautÈ pan over medium heat. Sear the chops until golden brown but not charred, 5 to 6 minutes, and turn over. Sear for 3 minutes on the second side for rare, or 5 minutes for medium-rare. Remove from the heat and transfer the chops to a heated platter.
- Add the flour to the skillet and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Return to the heat. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture is the color of chocolate, about 3 minutes. Add the onions, salt, and cayenne and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms, tasso, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the stock, bring the mixture to a gentle boil, and simmer for about 2 minutes. Return the chops to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes, basting often. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley, green onions, and black pepper.
- Serve the chops warm with the pan gravy.
Crawfish Stuffed Pork Chops With Crawfish Borderlaise Sauce
Smothered Veal Chops With Mushroom Gravy
Smothered Grits With Crawfish
Truffle Potato Soup With Truffle Mushroom Dumplings And Fried Parsley
Collard And Mustard Greens In Ham Hock Gravy
Beef Tenderloin With Fresh Horseradish and Black Pepper Crust
Sugarcane Baked Ham With Spiced Apples And Pears
Exotic Mushroom Bread Pudding
Truffle Mushroom Dumplings
Sixty One Paneed Veal Chops With Fettuccine