- 2 1/2 cups plus 2 teaspoons bleached all-purpose flour
- 3 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons seeded and finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 pound peeled crawfish tails (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne in a mixing bowl. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the ice water and mix until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. Form the dough into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let sit for about 5 minutes. Lightly dust a work surface. Roll the dough out into a 12-inch round about 1/4 inch thick. Fold the dough into fourths and place it in a 10-inch quiche pan. Press the dough, using your fingers, firmly into the bottom and sides of the pan. Roll a wooden rolling pin over the pan to cut off the excess dough. Prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork.
- Melt the butter in a medium-size sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the crawfish tails and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cream, eggs, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, the Tabasco, Worcestershire, chives, and Parmigiano. Pour the crawfish mixture into the pastry shell. Sprinkle the top with the cheddar. Pour the cream mixture over the crawfish mixture. Bake until the center sets and the top is golden, about 55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.
Crawfish Stuffed Pork Chops With Crawfish Borderlaise Sauce
Crawfish Bordelaise Sauce
Smothered Grits With Crawfish
Caramelized Roasted Skillet Duck With Steenís Duck Marinade
Stewed Black Eyed Peas
Quail And Smoked Sausage Christmas Gumbo
Andouille Crusted Oysters With Spinach Coulis
Sugarcane Baked Ham With Spiced Apples And Pears
Beef Tenderloin With Fresh Horseradish and Black Pepper Crust
Corn Cakes With Caviar And Traditional Garnishes