- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus 8 cups for frying
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken breast, shredded while warm
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 8 (10-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- Wooden toothpicks
- Chipotle Salsa
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, oregano, and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the green chiles. Cook mixture for about 5 minutes, or until heated through. Set aside and cool slightly.
- One at a time, place the tortillas on a work surface, keeping the remaining tortillas covered with a damp towel. (For pliable tortillas, sprinkle lightly with 1/4 teaspoon water and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 10 to 20 seconds just before ready to stuff, and keep covered until ready to roll.) Spread 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture in a rectangle in the center of the tortilla. Sprinkle with 1 to 2 tablespoons of cheese. Fold the bottom of the tortilla over the filling and then fold the sides over. Fold the top of the tortilla over the folded sides and secure the sides with wooden toothpicks. Place folded side down.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in a deep stockpot or deep fryer to 360 degrees F. Using tongs, lower the chimichangas folded side down, 1 at a time into the hot oil. (It is helpful to hold the chimichanga with the tongs until it has "sealed" together.) Cook until golden brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and continue with remaining chimichangas.
- Remove toothpicks from the chimichangas and serve immediately with Chipotle Salsa, sour cream, and fresh cilantro.
Fish Tacos With Chipotle Crema And Salsa Fresca
Fish Tacos With Chipotle Crema And Roasted Tomato Salsa
Chicken Chili With Cornbread Topping And Chipotle Crema
Duck Confit Nachos With Corn Chipotle Salsa
Chipotle Bbq Oysters With Homemade Salsa Fresca
Grilled Chicken Thighs with Brazilian “Vinaigrette” Salsa
Chef Neal's Baby Back Ribs With Orange Chipotle Glaze
Fajita Panini With Chipotle Mayonnaise
Big T Bone Steaks With Chipotle Butter