- 1/2 warm water
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and white pepper
- Make the sponge: In a large bowl, proof 1 teaspoon of the yeast in 1/4 cup water until bubbly - about 10 minutes. Add 3/4 cup of the flour, stir to combine and let rise, covered with plastic, for 45 minutes, or until mixture if bubbly.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl proof remaining yeast in remaining water until bubbly - about 10 minutes.
- Add second yeast mixture and olive oil to the sponge, stir in 1 cup of the flour and add remaining flour in two batches, stirring well after each addition, until mixture forms a dough.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, turn it to coat with the oil and let rise, covered with plastic, until doubles - about 1 hour.