- 4 cups plus 2 tablespoons bleached all-purpose flour (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 fresh jalapeños, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- Preheat the oven to 375&
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening.
- Combine 4 cups of the flour, the baking powder, pepper, salt, jalapeños, and cheese in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the shortening and work it into the dry ingredients, using your hands, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Fold in the half-and-half. The dough will be sticky.
- Dust your work surface with 1 tablespoon of the flour. Turn the dough onto the floured surface. Gently fold each side towards the center. Pick up the dough and dust the work surface with remaining tablespoon flour. Return the dough to the floured surface and fold each side towards the center again. Turn the dough over and lightly press it out into 1-inch thickness. Cut the biscuits using a 2 1/4-inch round cookie cutter. Place them on the baking sheet and bake until golden, 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Creole Christmas Trifle
Jalapeno And Cheese Biscuits
Cheddar And Green Onion Biscuits
Individual Ham and Cheese Crustless Quiche
Beef Tenderloin With Fresh Horseradish and Black Pepper Crust
Corn Cakes With Caviar And Traditional Garnishes
Espresso Spice Crinkle Cookies