- 2 1/2 pounds corned beef brisket
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices, 3 bay leaves and 5 black peppercorns, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 parsnips, cut into chunks
- 2 turnips, cut into chunks
- 1 small cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Horseradish cream:
- 1 cup sour cream
- Up to 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot combine the meat, the spice bag and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours. Add vegetables and salt. Simmer 30 minutes more.
- Make horseradish cream: In a small bowl combine sour cream and horseradish; season to taste with salt, pepper and Tabasco.
- To finish, remove corned beef to a carving board and slice against the grain. Transfer to a large, warmed, deep platter. Drain broth and reserve for soup, if desired. Arrange vegetables around meat and serve.
Mom's Portuguese Clam Bake
New England Style Lobster Dinner
Steak And Mushroom Pie (england)
New England Lobster Rolls
Haricots Verts And Horseradish Salad
Fireball Whisky Sauce
Gingered Beef With Fried Noodles
Double Cut Pork Chops with Tamarind Glaze, Green Mole Sauce and Caramelized Sweet Potatoes