- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 4 to 5 pound duck, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 turnip, diced
- 8 whole, unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1 large baking potato, diced
- 4 cups chicken or duck stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a dutch oven or large roasting pan with cover, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season duck pieces with Creole seasoning, then add to pan, skin-side down, and sear until well-browned. About 5 minutes. Turn pieces to meat side and add carrot, onion, turnip and garlic cloves; sauté, stirring gently, 2 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes, stock, bay leaves and thyme and bring to a boil. Cover pan and transfer to oven; bake one hour.
- When duck is tender, remove pieces to a warmed serving dish and set aside while you prepare sauce. In a small bowl whisk flour with 2 tablespoons water and add to liquid in roasting pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring, until sauce thickens. Pour over duck pieces and serve.