- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces prosciutto finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped, peeled, seeded tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Baby Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Chopped chives and parsley, for garnish
- 4 to 5 whole tortillas, fried and chopped, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the prosciutto, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add the cream and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf.
- If you like a smooth soup you may use a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the soup. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, caramelize the sugar over low heat. Add the vinegar and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add to the soup a teaspoon at a time to balance the acidity.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and arrange the sliced sandwiches around the sides. Garnish with the herbs and chopped tortillas and serve.
Baby Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Kicked-Up Grilled Ham and Cheese with a Warm Roasted Tomato Salad
Grilled Escolar With A Saute Of Fresh Asparagus, Baby Morels And Currant Tomatoes
Baby Spinach Salad with Grilled Tomato Dressing
Baby Ramp And New Potato Soup With Mini Truffled Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Cheese Stuffed Soft Shell Crabs With Grilled Tomato Basil Coulis, And Grilled Green Onions
Grilled Tomato And Red Bell Pepper Soup With Grilled Pancetta
Melon Soup With Prosciutto Breadsticks
Grilled Veal Chops With Herb Cheese, Wild Mushroom Tomato Bordelaise
Creole Style Tomato Soup With Goat's Cheese Dumplings