- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk (110 degrees)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chestnut flour
- Pinch salt
- Oil, for frying
- 1 cup honey
- Preheat the fryer to 360 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with a dough hook, add the yeast, sugar, shortening, and milk, mix for 2 minutes. Add the egg. Mix well. Add 2 cups of the flour, the chestnut flour and salt. Beat at low speed until all of the flour is incorporated, about 1 minute. Then beat at medium speed until the mixture forms a ball, leaves the sides of the bowl, and climbs up the dough hook. Remove the dough from the bowl.
- Using your hands, form the dough into a smooth ball. Lightly oil a bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and turn it to oil all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until it doubles in size, about 2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat the dough into a rectangle about 1-inch thick. Lightly dust the surface of the dough. Roll out the rectangle to 12 1/2 inches long by 10 inches wide and about 1/4-inch thick. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 20 (2 1/2-inch) square beignets. Fry the beignets, a couple at a time until golden brown and crispy on all sides, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove and drain on a paper towels. Drizzle with the honey and serve.
Dolci Di Castagna (aka Chestnut Creams)
Cabri A La Corse
Frozen Chestnut Souffles With Brandied Berry Sauce
Parmesan Cheese And Chestnut Honey
Tropical Fruit Beignet With Mango Coulis And Coconut Ice Cream
Smoked Rock Shrimp And Sweet Corn Beignets
Gulf Fish Beignets With Grilled Corn And Tomato Tartar Sauce