- 1 1/2 pounds pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound pork fat, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon ground dried summer savory
- 1 pint container of 1 1/2-inch casings
- In a large mixing bowl, add the pork, beef and pork fat. In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients together. Mix well. Toss the meat with the seasoning blend and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Grind the meat twice in a meat grinder fitted with a 1/2-inch die. A food processor could also be used. Stuff the ground mixture into the casings to form 12-inch links.
- Prepare the smoker. Place the sausages in the smoker and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- Prepare the steamer. Place the sausages in the steamer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- Place the sausage back in the smoker and continue to smoke for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.