- 4 chicken leg portions with thighs attached, excess fat trimmed and reserved (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 4 cups olive oil
- Lay the leg portions on a platter, skin side down. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the kosher salt and black pepper. Place the garlic cloves, bay leaves, and sprigs of thyme on each of 2 leg portions. Lay the remaining 2 leg portions, flesh to flesh, on top. Put the reserved fat from the chicken in the bottom of a glass or plastic container. Top with the sandwiched leg portions. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Remove the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and chicken fat and reserve. Rinse the chicken with cool water, rubbing off some of the salt and pepper. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Put the reserved garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and duck fat in the bottom of an enameled cast iron pot. Sprinkle evenly with the peppercorns and salt. Lay the chicken on top, skin side down. Add the olive oil. Cover and bake for 12 to 14 hours, or until the meat pulls away from the bone.
- Remove the chicken from the fat. Strain the fat and reserve. Pick the meat from the bones and place it in a stoneware container. Cover the meat with some of the strained fat, making a 1/4-inch layer. The chicken confit can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- The excess oil can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and used like butter for cooking. The tinge of chicken taste in the oil is wonderful and I use the oil to roast potatoes, cook green beans, and pan-fry veal.
Cold Asparagus Soup With Quail Eggs And Caviar
Asparagus And Chicken Confit Ragu
Crispy Sea Bass With Confit Of Yukon Gold Potatoes, Pancetta And Fresh Sweet Peas
Pan Roasted Filet Mignon Stuffed With English Stilton Served With Potato Walnut Confit And Port Wine Reduction
Duck Confit Rellenos
California Style Duck Confit Pizza
Pasta Rags with Chicken Confit, Asparagus, and Teardrop Tomatoes
Crispy Confit Of Duck And Yukon Gold Potatoes With Braised Spinach, Shaved Truffles, Truffle Emulsion And White Truffle Oil
Honey-Butter Baked Chicken with Mashed Sweet Potatoes